The James Taylor Signature Models
A Limited Edition Series
In 2002, during his 25th year as a luthier, Jim collaborated with James Taylor
on the specification of a limited edition series of
James Taylor Signature Model Olson guitarsinstruments designed to closely resemble JT's favorite performing guitar, but with special appointments making the series a distinctive commemoration of the work of these two artists.
Each JT Signature Model guitar bears a label personally signed by both James Taylor and Jim Olson, visible through the soundhole. Inside, the neck endblock is laser-engraved with the "James Taylor Signature Model" designation, in addition to the serial number and year of construction.
Jim will craft a total of 100 JT models: 80 "Standard" JT models, and 10 each of two "Special Edition" JT models that supplement the standard model with special appointments and woods (a Special Edition model is pictured above). The Standard JT model is available for $15,000. Special Edition models command higher prices; contact Jim directly for further information.
The Standard JT Model
The Standard JT model is an Olson SJ with a cedar top and east Indian rosewood back and sides and dove inlaysthe basic specs of JT's favorite performing guitar. Several additional appointments add to the elegance of the Standard JT model.
- SJ non-cutaway body shape
- Cedar top
- East Indian rosewood back and sides
- Rosewood binding
- 5-piece laminated neck
- Abalone dove and "O" inlays
- Abalone soundhole trim
- Abalone trim around the top edge, back center strip, and endblock wedge
- Custom Gotoh 510 "rock steady post" tuners with "O" logo goldtone casings and black faux-ebony knobs
- Custom Calton "Deluxe" hardshell case with "O" embossed on the lid
Special Edition JT Models
Special Edition JT models share the basic specifications of the standard model, but supplement them. Ten Indian rosewood special edition JT models will be built with these additional appointments:
- Double-inlayed dove and "O" inlays, with mother-of-pearl borders surrounding abalone inserts (the "O" is pictured below, left; doves below, right)
- Special soundhole rosette with an abalone ring surrounded by Brazillian rosewood inserts carefully cut and shaped to have a radial grain pattern (visible above and below, right)
- Ebony peghead back with white-black-white purfling
- White-black-white purfling around the fingerboard (visible below, right)
In addition, ten Brazillian rosewood special edition JT models were built with the above appointments, but substituting select Brazilian rosewood for the guitar back and sides. All of the Brazilian JT Signature Model guitars have been sold.
Additional photos of some of the Special Edition appointments appear on the Guitar Appointments page.