.

This photograph was taken about 1880. We can tell from the "Billy The Kid - Wanted" poster on the exterior wall.
Click to Enlarge
  • On April 18, 1815, the New York State legislature authorized the downstate Bank of Newburgh to open a branch in the village of Ithaca. A lot was purchased on what is now State Street (reportedly for $0.10) from Simon DeWitt. The building was constructed in 1821 by Luther Gere, a noted Ithaca carpenter and builder who became the bank's president. The structure housed banking on the main floor, a basement vault and an upstairs residence.
  • In 1830, the Bank of Ithaca acquired the building and converted it to a residence. After years of neglect and dilapidation, the building was rescued in 1912 by Reverend Edward George, who moved the structure to its present location on Court Street. Additions were made at that time.
  • The building was the subject of an article in Architecture magazine in 1923 in which it was referred to as the George House.
  • The building was purchased by Newburgh Associates in the summer of 1974 and restored and renovated to its current state by O'Brian and Taube Architects.
  • The building is considered to be one of the oldest identified structures in Tompkins County and a rare example of the Federalist style. It is included in the DeWitt Park District and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.